Tuesday, July 31, 2012

On This Day 5 Years Ago........

I can't help but remember everything that was happening 5 years ago RIGHT NOW! 

 My little man, hamming it up since his days in the hospital.  I still love this picture.

I was a week overdue...painfully uncomfortable...scared of my imminent future...and yet incredibly excited to meet the little man who would change my life.  That's right, I am talking about the birth of my firstborn, my son, Sammy.  I look at the clock and can instantly recall the things that were happening.  About right now (1:11pm) we were at a non-stress test, making sure that everything was still okay for the little boy wriggling like crazy in my stomach.  I was almost a week overdue and I had yet to go into labor.  At this point we had just received word that my body was showing signs that I had toxemia and they had all the green lights to check me into labor and delivery immediately.  They were calling Labor and Delivery, reserving a spot for us and notifying my doctor that I was in.  I thought I would have a baby by evening.  Boy was I wrong.  :)  I was in for one of the toughest 24 hours of my life.  And I would not change anything because of the outcome.

I can't help but get sentimental.  I knew that day would change my life, but I couldn't imagine HOW MUCH it would change my life and change me!  It altered both my course and my very being.  How could I have imagined what it would be like to look back 5 years at that day as I am gazing at my sweet son?  I can't believe that time has flown by me so fast.  I can't believe that my son is about to start kindergarten in a few weeks.  I thought I had more time. 

This picture says it all.  He is everywhere, climbing and hanging from all angles and places, and yet is so bright and happy.  And if we are lucky to catch him for a few seconds, he always gives us his quick smile and ready love.  I love my boy!

I remember wondering what he would look like, who would he be like, who he would be as I stared into the amazingly alert eyes of my newborn son those first few days in the hospital.  I still wonder at some of those things but there is something more that I can't deny--his sweet goodness and love of life and people ever since the day he came into my life-- I know without a shadow of a doubt that there is a God, who is our Heavenly Father and we are all his children.  How could this sweet boy not have come straight from the arms of his Heavenly Father?  So much of his goodness and sweetness was born in him.  He is a strong, courageous child of God.  And by some miracle, I get to be his mother in this earthly existence.  I thank my Heavenly Father for the opportunity I have to love this boy and to care and raise him.  I hope that with my husband and the guidance of our Heavenly Father that I will be able to raise him the way God would want him to be raised.  I want to do everything in my power to help him be the valiant, gentle, and loving man he is born to be.  




No comments:

Post a Comment