Friday, February 24, 2012

Crazy Friday

I woke up and Friday felt off. I usually love Fridays. I felt a little off-kilter and it stuck with me the whole day. My kids must have felt it as well, because man, they were crazy. The morning was chopped full of weird things that usually don't happen, happening. And not the good kind of surprises. They were both a little bit naughty, for instance, my daughter thought it was hilarious to drink apple juice from her sippy and walk around spitting her juice out. She laughed every time she spit it out! Guess who didn't think it was hilarious--that's right, me! Some of my least favorite type of messes are the ones that involve making my floor sticky. No matter how you clean and wipe it off it never seems 100% clean unless you mop the floors. And unfortunately, that was not on the agenda.

My son also had his own moments. He just was a little lippy and irritating his sister which in turn was irritating me because he wouldn't listen and kept setting his sister off! He also spilled his own juice because he was messing around and doing things he shouldn't have done. And he did it right after I had just finished cleaning up and putting things away. Yeah. It was a trying day. And it wasn't even noon yet.

Well, we got ready for preschool and got in the car and we get there and my son doesn't want to go. I kind of scratched my head because he had been excited to go 10 minutes before we got at school and then we park and he doesn't want to get out. And then I remembered what happened on Wednesday. I was late picking him up and he was waiting at the front desk. Well, when I got there I got out of my car and was getting my daughter out when he came running outside. No big deal, right? Nope. It's against the rules for the kids to walk without parents and to go out by themselves. I was grateful because I don't want my kid going outside and no one knowing where he is or keeping an eye on him. So one of the ladies at the front desk talked to him sternly about it. It wasn't bad, but sometimes my son takes stuff like that really hard. And it made him sad. Really sad. So, I think when we came back to school on Friday he remembered that experience and didn't want to walk by that lady to get to his class. Eventually he got out of the car to my relief.

Izzie and I drove home and I put her to bed. When I put her down I have to make the house silent for the first 20-30 minutes of her nap or she may not fully fall asleep. So, I took this opportunity to read the Ensign, a church magazine full of spiritual thoughts, advice, and inspirational stories. Man, this totally made a difference to my day. It helped me to calm down and resolve to have more patience instead of letting my kids get the better of me. I know it sounds like it wouldn't help, but it totally did. I really needed that at that moment!

Before I knew it, it was time to get Sammy from school. So, we got him and went home. When we got home the kids decided they wanted to play with bubbles. It was a nice day and I do not like playing with bubbles in the house so we all headed outside. I was happy to try to make up for my earlier grumpiness by playing with them outside, something they absolutely love and I need to do more. So, we blew bubbles and it was really fun! There were tons of giggles and smiles and running around. I really enjoyed it.

However they did start running around so we moved to the backyard because it is fenced. So we ran around and played and when we were done we had to walk back to the front so we could get back in the house. As we were on our way the kids threw the bubble bottles on the grass so I went to pick them up. I grab them and look up and the kids are running across the street! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Luckily, we live on a pretty tame street. So I hurry across the street and they promptly run away and keep going. I reach my daughter first and grab her. However, I can't leave her there while I catch my son and I can't catch my son carrying/dragging her--he's way too fast. So he runs and runs. And somehow, I catch up with him. Just when I thought things were looking up, this happens! It was definitely the icing on the cake. Or was it the last straw? hmmmmmm.

Anyways, I was glad when we were back in the safety and controlled environment of our home. And so I put the baby down for a nap and put my son in timeout to think about how he didn't listen to Mommy and how dangerous it was to cross the street by himself. And then I put myself in timeout so I would think about being nicer and happy despite all that my kids had put me through that day. I think we all emerged from our respective timeouts a little bit healthier and happier.

My nephews came over after 5pm for piano lessons. It was definitely a great teaching day for them! They all passed songs and two of them passed their assignments completely! I was so excited. That really helped me feel better about my day. It sounds silly, but it truly did. At least somewhere someone was succeeding at something! Because I sure didn't feel like I was!

While I was wrapping up my lessons my sister came over and we made dinner and ate all together. During our cooking my kids were playing and loving each other. It did make me feel good to watch my kids enjoying each other. It was a nice way to wrap up the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment